Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Week 15 Growth Mindset

I remember learning about Growth Mindset in another class, but honestly I can’t remember what class or even what Growth Mindset is. I figured for my first Growth Mindset blog I should learn a little more about what it is.

The Growth Mindset was developed by Carol Dweck in her book Mindset: The New Psychology of Success. The growth mindset is a mindset where you believe you can develop your abilities by hard work and dedication. Oppose to the more common mindsets kids grow up having. They consider themselves either dumb or smart and no effort can change their abilities.

This actually applies to me a lot for different reasons. Growing up I was diagnosed with Dyslexia and as a result had to repeat the third grade. I was the weird, older, idiot who couldn’t pass third grade. I was bullied. For some reason, I didn’t let people calling me an idiot affect my view on myself. I worked hard through my alpha phonics tutoring and didn’t let the bullying make me think different of myself.

This meme was created by Laura Gibbs. 


Therefore, I completely believe in the growth mindset and its ability to help children learn and grow. I think at such a young age when grades are distributed it puts a numerical divide that children view they are either on the other side, the smart side or the dumb side.


1 comment:

  1. Wow, Averey, that is a POWERFUL story... and I was really impressed by stories from other students. Adding growth mindset to the class is my favorite thing that happened this semester. Thank you for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete